Rubery Owen Holdings Ltd
From an initial production that consisted mainly of light steel roof work, the business expanded into factory construction to feed the growing ‘bicycle boom' and then as the bicycle became the motor car, attention turned to components for product itself as well as the factories in which they were produced.
As early as 1899, Rubery and Co were awarded a Gold Medal at the Richmond Exhibition for a chassis frame assembled from rolled sections and solid round steel bars, as AE Owen had been one of the first to realise the limitations of traditional production methods - rightly named as one of the Pioneers of the British Motor Industry, AE Owen was also an early Motorist himself - he was, for instance, the first man to take a car into Aberdovey, North Wales and indeed, on entering the town was stopped by the local policeman, who would not permit him to proceed until he had been invited to mount the seat beside him - unfortunately, half way through the town, the car backfired, much to the affright of the Policeman, who thought he was being shot, and immediately forbade further travel - the car was imprisoned that evening, and old residents report that the following Sunday, the Minister prayed very earnestly that God would take away the ‘Devil on Wheels' from the town.
However, the "Devil on Wheels" would afford the company significant opportunities for growth and in 1905 the Company became Rubery Owen and Co. By 1910 Mr JT Rubery had retired and sold his interest in its entirety to his partner, and AE Owen's sole Proprietorship was marked by the entry of the firm into yet another world of locomotion. By 1911 Rubery Owen had issued a small catalogue of Metal Aircraft Components - quantities were extremely small in those early days, but AE Owen was always eager to try out a 'speciality' - in the years following, the works were constantly visited by the pioneers of aviation and when war broke out in 1914, Rubery,Owen and Co was almost the only firm in a position to supply the British Government with small aircraft components in any significant quantity...
The Firm fought its way through the Depression of the early '20's and by the end of the decade, the business was expanding again with new opportunities in 'Chassis Development', 'Road Wheels' and 'Structural Steelwork' this time being the Engine for Growth.
By the time of AE Owen's early death in December 1929, the business organisation that he had created was widely recognised as being unique in character - consisting as it did of a number of contiguous but separate operations each producing its own particular class of goods from Motor Frames to Motor Wheels, Structural Steel to Aviation and Metal Aircraft. The firm at that time employed 1600, and AE Owen was recognised as being as much a pioneer of industrial welfare as he was in industry itself - a recreation ground, with bowling greens and tennis courts, has been opened in 1912 (a decided novelty in the grim setting of Black Country Manufacture) and Rubery Owen was also one of the first firms in the Midlands to establish an Institute, with canteen, Staff Dining Room, Billiards Room and Reading Room. The Company was also a founder member of the Industrial Welfare Society.
When AE Owen's 2 sons, Alfred and Ernest, took over the reins at the beginning of 1930, they realised that a great tradition had to be maintained - and developed. The Structural Steel departments flourished, with some of the Country's best know sporting Stadia - Manchester United, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Derby County, Millwall and Twickenham - having new stands erected as a result of Rubery Owen Structural Steelwork. These activities, combined with the ever increasing growth of the motor industry and of course the advent of the Second World War meant that the company continued to expand, significant parts of its production capability being required for the war effort.